Tuesday, November 20, 2007

E.A.S.T.

This past weekend, I decided to get a full dose of what's going on in the local artworld (and get a look inside artists' studios and homes) at the annual East Austin Studio Tours. On Saturday, I ended up doing a lot of walking around the E. Cesar Chavez area studios. My favorite exhibition/installation was Jonathan Marshall's at the Art Palace. Maybe because I'm a narrative junkie, I loved the way all his pieces fit together (2D, 3D, film, audio, semi-participatory). I also really liked the abstract oils of Caroline Wright and Ava Sharifian. Fisterra Studio was the most fun home studio to visit; they had some really amazing iron sculpture going on in the garden and art on pretty much every surface of the house. On an unrelated note, I discovered Azul Cafe with its secret back garden area, only to learn that they're closing this week (photo below).
Cafe Azul
On Sunday, I drove to some of the studios further east (and less easy to walk from studio to studio). I really liked Catherine Hart's work and the Opal Black jewelry in the same studio was really gorgeous. I think the highlight of the day was visiting Ginko Studios. The pottery was really lovely and reminded me a little of Leo Lionni's illustrations. And I could spend all day wandering around the studio and gardens there. Overall, I came away from the weekend with some serious art, home, and garden inspiration.
Ginko StudiosGinko Studios Ginko StudiosGinko Studios Ginko studios.

No comments: