Sunday, December 19, 2010

Another winter fruit

pomegranate
Pomegranate in prepared food is delicious, but it has always been something I've stayed away from at the grocery. They're so big and leathery and slightly intimidating; the color is gorgeous, though. Then a few weeks ago, Whole Foods had just the seeds in the cut fruit section. I ended up throwing them in anything I could think of, mostly on top greek yogurt and granola or on a green salad with toasted walnuts and vinaigrette. So good.

The first time I tackled the actual fruit, everything on the counter ended up covered in splashes of deep crimson. Not ideal. Then my mother pointed me in the direction of this tip. So much faster and no juice spray. Plus, no mark-up of buying fruit in the pre-cut section (I always feel like I'm cheating if I do that). Cheers to seasonal fruit!

On an art note, I'm kind of into mixing a 6b pencil in with the watercolor lately. It blends in better than my usual nib & ink but still adds some dark value/depth that it's tough to achieve with certain watercolor shades.

1 comment:

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

Magnificent! I love it. I just love looking at it. You are amazing Amy. Happy New Year to you.
Hugs
V