Monday, April 14, 2014

Experimenting on Craft Day

Do you ever talk with fellow artists about how much fun it would be to share tools and techniques and just play for an afternoon? On Saturday, several Austin illustrators got to do just that when the talented and organized Marsha Riti made a good idea into an afternoon of craft at the lovely home of Luz Marie Iturbe. So much fun to try out media that you might never invest in just to play! With everyone bringing in a little something to share, you realize which tools are worth getting for your own studio.

I am now in love with liquid watercolor. I had one bottle that I never really used; but getting to play with the whole set of colors suddenly opens up possibilities. I will be making a Jerry's trip this week.craftday1
The effect when you drop the color onto wet watercolor paper is pretty divine. On the right, some liquid watercolor had dried on Yupo watercolor paper (propylene) and reminded me of Fiver's visions in Watership Down (saw the movie at a young age, and it stuck with me).
craftday2
Another artist brought in tools to do impressing on paper, which adds line and texture under the graphite or colored pencil that follows. I had some fun making wave patterns. The alligator is done in watercolor pencil.
craftday3
Trying out some liquid frisket to create texture on an orange. And after using a piece of the Yupo paper as a palette for the liquid graphite I was playing with, the resulting spot reminded me of a gorilla head.
craftday4
Thanks to Marsha for organizing us and to Luz Marie for being such a wonderful host (with a totally fun trampoline)! And thanks to the other illustrators for bringing and sharing your tools of the trade.

1 comment:

tanjawilmot said...

what a great idea, sharing materials for a play around. love them wave textures, and liquid watercolour - wow. I've never been aware of it.