Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Thinking about style

I'm in the process of updating my website portfolio, deciding which pieces make the cut, and this week's Escape from Illustration Island podcast on style was particularly timely. It made me think about the artists who inspired me when I was just starting to paint a few years ago (like Lisbeth Zwerger), and how their influence in my style has diminished over time as I learn to solve visual problems in my own way.

Drawing from life has been the most effective way to explore and develop my own style. I recently attended some life drawing (long poses) sessions at AMOA, and working with rough materials (pastels, vine charcoal, watercolor w/china marker, newsprint) on 18"X24" paper is really freeing. I try to keep it unfussy just to see what happens, rather than worry about creating a true portrait.

IMG_2088
IMG_2099
Life drawing
IMG_2096

More life drawing here.

No comments: